Weight Ticker

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thursday, June 16, 2011

I've gotten a taste of what it will be like to work and keep healthy promises to myself. I've been up at school writing math tests for the upcoming year and haven't gotten home until 4:00 or so. Yesterday, I'd prepared Tracie's Couscous Salad from Paula Dean's show ahead of time, so it wasn't a problem at all to defrost some precooked shrimp and toss it in when I got home. We tended to the garden, shelled some peas, got in a good game of volleyball in the pool, and kicked back with some coffee by 8:00. Not bad!

Today was a different story. After school, I ran to the bank and the grocery store...and I was hungry at the time. Bad idea. It made shopping much harder. I admit I browsed through the bakery, knowing the entire time I should have simply bypassed it. In the end, I didn't pick anything up, but it was tempting. After the fresh veggies and fruit made their way into my cart, I took myself down the chip aisle. Sigh. I didn't pick up chips, but I did pick up a container of popcorn. Real popcorn. That means oil in a pan because we don't have an air popper. Maybe I'll pick one up. We'll see. Anyway, the rest of the trip got a little easier as I breezed up and down aisles, but then I got to the refrigerated and frozen foods. So many temptations. Ice cream. Pies. Cinnamon rolls. Cookie dough. Honestly. It was hard, but I passed them up, as well. Good for me. Almost.

My downfall came when I headed back to produce for the green onions I'd forgotten. There was the sushi dude rolling fresh sushi. And not just any sushi - he was crafting dragon rolls. I have no idea how many calories are in dragon rolls, but I consumed an entire roll on the drive home. As far as snacks go, I could have done worse. I mean, it wasn't a Twinkie. But still, I ate that 4:00 roll and then ate a bowl of Greek Chicken Potato Salad at 6:00. Heavy sigh.

Did I exercise? No. I did garden a little bit carrying containers of water back and forth from faucet to herbs and cukes several times. I picked purple hull peas, too. But here it is 8:30 and I'm not about to get up and exercise now.

I am quite full though. I'll put on a pot of decaf in a bit and have a cup with hazelnut creamer, but I can't imagine I'll consume another bite of food. That's a positive. Maybe I should start a food log to keep track of silly choices I make when I'm tired, rushed, and hungry. Maybe I should keep an emergency bag of trail mix or granola in my purse or car. Today certainly helped me see where healthy choices and good intentions fly out the window. I'm pretty sure it's all in the planning. Plan ahead when, where, and how to exercise. Plan meals and snacks and have them on hand. Don't shop after school without eating a healthy snack first! Plan which days to exercise and which days to take off to run errands - don't try to do them both on the same day!

Words of wisdom. Let's see if I recall them when school starts back in August. Please remind me if I don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment