Weight Ticker

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Another Fresh Start

Oh my. I don't even know where to begin...

Obviously I haven't been posting since the end of July. I've had some health issue that took over my life and school started at the same time. That all adds up to OVERLOAD for me.

Here are the health issues. All summer, I had sores in my mouth, dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin, a superficial blood clot in my leg, and angioedema (swelling of the throat and face). Sinus surgery has been put off indefinitely. In trying to find solutions/causes they found I'm allergic to my old blood pressure meds. Tried a new one and had adverse reactions to that. Now on the 3rd one and so far so good. I've also had an upset stomach (IBS) all summer. Then when school started, I began having severe stomach issues with fever and also got an upper respitory infection. Dr. gave me Ceftin but I had a reaction to it. Dr. gave me Erythromycin but I had a reaction to that as well. Missed 3 days of school due to illness, then woke up Friday morning with a swollen throat and uvula and had to go get a steroid shot and take Benadryl  so there was another day off of work. Not a great start to the school year.  In the meantime, the dr. took blood and found that I have a B12 deficiency and anemia. I started B12 shots this week. I also started an iron supplement. To top that off, my cholestorol dropped below 200 for the first time in 10 years, but my triglycerides jumped to a whopping 742 which is extra high. So...now I'm on a low sugar, low fat, good carbs only diet.

So...since I can't just scale back and eat my old foods, I started researching diabetic diets and looking into how many carbs to eat per day, etc. It turns out that weight watchers online is very helpful so I re-upped my account and am on weight watchers again. I can keep track of my weight, measurements, and how many fruits/veggies/carbs/and dairy products I have in a day. It's simple and I like the graphs and message boards. They even have a board for women with fibromyalgia although I don't think I'll hang out there too often because I don't like to think about it on a daily basis. Do you know what I mean?

The next step is to go to a rheumatologist to see if they can figure out why I'm B12 deficient. The good news is that many off my symptoms will turn around once the shots take hold. The bad news is that I'm still icky while I'm waiting for that to happen. All I can do is put one foot in front of the other and keep on going. WW is something I can "do" to help myself each day. Hopefully I can start walking again soon and that will help too.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. So sorry mommy :( It always seems like one thing after the other! How in the world are you allergic to so many meds? Lord. I am praying for daddy's immune system and praying that you get better! Glad to hear you're back on the weight watchers website and exploring the forums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being my cheerleader, my little girl! I hope you get your dad's immune system, too. I don't wish to pass this mess on to anyone!

    ReplyDelete